Take Me to the Pilot
The LogistiVIEW pilot program offers an early take-off!
Exploring new technology can be both exciting and scary. Enterprises know they must keep pace with technology innovations, but are also keenly aware of the potential disruptions therein.
LogistiVIEW is taking aim at the barriers and risks commonly associated with technology pilots. We would rather our customers spend their time earnestly evaluating how augmented reality (AR) can improve their operations, and less time stressing about traditional project pitfalls.
As a technology provider, we are pretty comfortable with the solution we are providing. We live and breath it every day. We are confident that AR technology is here now, and able to deliver benefits to many operations.
However, every innovation / technology initiative faces hurdles. Regardless of enthusiasm for the solution, certain factors stand in the way of easy adoption. We decided to take them on directly, and offer smart glass pilots starting at $5000 (US).
1. Scope. We commonly say that if you can draw a flowchart for a process, LogistiVIEW can improve it with augmented reality. We would like to augment every hands-on process in an enterprise, but pilot projects should be limited in scope. Traditional thinking says to start with the process with the biggest potential ROI, but this is not always the best plan for a pilot. The best choice may be the one with the least amount of integration, or exception paths, or even the smallest workforce. Even though this is a technology solution, the pilot is as much about physical, ergonomic compatibility as it is technological.
2. Deployment. Where does a pilot belong, if not in the cloud? Cloud deployments can bypass certain IT backlogs. Hardware procurement, software licenses (database, web server, etc.), and application deployment are left to the vendor. We can deploy a new, dedicated instance in minutes. Cloud deployments go hand-in-hand with subscription based licensing (SaaS), avoiding a large up-front license purchase.
3. Integration. System integration is the long pole in most software project tents. While there are some industry standard methods to just get the systems talking (web services, files, etc.), the labor-intensive part is usually coding some type of data transformation logic to coerce the information itself into something agreeable. LogistiVIEW, via our patent-pending integration approach, has cut much, if not all, of that effort out. We do have an API, and most external systems can source our simple formats. However, we can also take any data content the existing system can supply, and use it "as is." This flexibility reduces the load on IT departments, which ultimately shortens the time to value.
4. Configuration. When it comes to system configuration, less is more. LogistiVIEW adapts to whatever level of configuration is present, so if you want full navigation, you can configure the physical layout. If not, the workforce will still get valuable, visual instruction based on the information present. We have made system configuration as easy as loading up a MS-Excel workbook, each section being optional, and uploading it to the cloud.
5. Hardware. Wearable VIEW Devices, such at the Vuzix M300, give the ultimate human experience for hands-free system interaction. Many pilot projects are based on assessing the viability of these devices in various environments. LogistiVIEW runs equally well on a sufficiently equipped handheld Android device, such as tablets, rugged handheld terminals and even consumer grade smart phones. Pilot customers often try a mix of devices to assess the best fit for each operation.
6. Price. Finally, we know that there are many initiatives competing for innovation budget money, and technology purchases, particularly for the hands-on workforce, are heavily scrutinized. We recently introduced pilot pricing to minimize the risk of innovation.
We often hear from enterprises today who see wearable tech and augmented reality as an inevitable future state. These businesses want to get in soon and make sure they are part of the change, not observers to it. LogistiVIEW is pleased to lower any barriers that stand in the way.
Leave a Reply.
Supply Chain Software Development Veteran, Efficiency Expert, Ergonomy Fanatic